For my first blog post, I decided to try a recipe I found on Pinterest: skillet chicken with creamy lime sauce. It promises a quick, flavorful, and easy meal, so I decided to put it to the test!
First, I gathered my ingredients. The ingredient list is quite short and requires very little chopping, which I greatly appreciated. I then cooked the chicken breasts the skillet for 9 minutes – slightly longer than the recipe called for. The recipe said they should be brown and crisp, yet even though I cooked mine for longer than recommended they were brown but nowhere near crisp. The chicken stuck to the pan a bit, but it was easily scraped off when I added the sauce ingredients.
The cooking of the sauce was also a bit iffy. After about 7 minutes the onions were plenty cooked and the sauce seemed sufficiently reduced, so I took it off the heat and added the cream and butter. It turned out ok in the end, because this was seriously the best sauce I have ever tasted. It was amazing! Even though very little cream is used it was extremely creamy. My only criticism is that there wasn’t enough of it. I made this for five people and we all wanted more!
I then put the chicken back into the skillet and put the whole thing in the oven to finish cooking. It took 17 minutes to cook completely through, quite a bit longer than the 5-10 minutes the recipe said it would take. Other than that, the chicken was cooked perfectly. It was delicious!
What made this meal even better was the fact that clean up was a breeze. The fact that everything was cooked in one skillet meant there was very little to clean. I loved it!
Due to the fact that there was very little prep and clean up, this recipe gets a perfect score.
This is awesome! Seriously, try it, you’ll love it.
Would I make it again?
Skillet Chicken With Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce
Yields: 4 servings Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- If the chicken breasts are uneven in thickness, pound them down so they’re all even. This way all the breasts will cook through similtaneously. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes, turning once. You want the chicken nice and browned on the outside. (It doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through yet.) Set chicken on a plate and cover tightly with foil until step 5.
- Remove skillet from heat and add the broth, lime juice, onion, cilantro, and red pepper. Return to heat. Cook and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to around 1/4 cup. (During this time you can steam some veggies to have on the side.) Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the cream and butter. Stir until butter has melted.
- Return chicken to the skillet and place in the preheated oven. Bake until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with sauce spooned on top.